» Affordable Housing
» Atlantic Highlands First Aid
» Building Department
» Business Administrator
» Clean Communities
» Code Enforcement
» Drug and Alcohol Alliance
» Emergency Management [OEM]
» Engineering
» Environmental Commission
» Finance Department
» Fire
» Fire Marshall Office
» Harbor
» Health
» Inspections (Certificate of Occupancy)
» Library
» Municipal Clerk
» Municipal Court
» Planning Board
» Police
» Public Works
» Records Bureau
» Recreation
» Recycling
» Shade Tree Commission
» Social Services
» Special Events Committee
» Stormwater Management
» Tax Assessor
» Tax Collector
» Vital Statistics
» Voter Registration
» Water and Sewer
» Zoning Office

How to Contact FEMA

You can apply for disaster relief at; through smartphones at; or by calling 800-621-3362.  Applicants should be prepared to provide information such as names and social security numbers for all residents of your home, insurance coverage & annual income.

Home and business owners interested in the SBA’s loan program can apply at
Survivors of Hurricane Sandy who suffered damage should apply for disaster assistance with the Federal Emergency Management Agency - even if they have insurance or aren't sure if they are eligible.

Services provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency:

  • Grants for expenses not covered by insurance, including money to repair and rebuild dwellings and temporary housing — short-term hotel expenses, rent for up to 18 months, or, as a last resort, a FEMA manufactured housing unit.
  • Grants for disaster-related medical and dental expenses, funeral expenses, clothing, furniture, education items such as computers.
  • Grants for heating oil or natural gas, equipment needed for cleanup, moving and storage expenses.
  • Counseling services, unemployment assistance, legal aid, income-tax assistance, Social Security and veteran benefits assistance.

Services provided by the Small Business Administration:

  • Homeowners can apply for direct loans of up to $200,000 to repair or replace real estate beyond what’s covered by insurance. The loans have interest rates as low as 1.7 percent and can be repaid over 30 years.
  • Homeowners and renters can apply for loans of up to $40,000 – also as low as 1.7 percent – to repair or replace personal property that isn’t covered by insurance.
  • Businesses and nonprofit organizations can borrow up to $2 million to repair or replace real estate, machinery or inventory. The loan may be increased to pay for improvements that can mitigate future disasters. The business loans have an interest rate of 4 percent; the nonprofit loans are 3 percent.
  • Businesses with fewer than 500 employees and agriculture and aquatic businesses are eligible for loans of up to $2 million to use as working capital that can help them pay bills.

Some other things to note regarding FEMA....

  • If you lost work due to a federally declared disaster, you may qualify for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA). FEMA does not administer the DUA program. Please contact your local office of your State's Unemployment Commission for further information regarding DUA benefits.
  • Damages to a secondary or vacation home are not eligible under FEMA's disaster assistance program. However, if you own a secondary home that is rented out or occupied by a family member, you may be eligible for assistance from the Small Business Administration (SBA).
  • FEMA does not compensate for evacuation expenses, even if the evacuation was mandatory.  However, lodging/hotel expenses may be eligible for reimbursement if the home was damaged to the extent you could not return for an extended period of time, so retain your verifiable hotel/motel lodging receipts.  Do not send lodging receipts to FEMA before you have registered for assistance.  Miscellaneous evacuation expenses such as food and gasoline are not reimbursable, regardless of whether the home was damaged.

If you have Homeowner's Insurance, you may want to contact your insurance company regarding Loss of Use or Additional Living Expenses (ALE).  This coverage may assist you with your evacuation expenses.

  • FEMA is prohibited by law from duplicating benefits when other resources are available, but FEMA may be able to assist with uncompensated losses or unmet needs not covered by your insurance company.  If you have not already filed a claim with your insurance company, we encourage you to do so as soon as possible.

If you do not file a claim with your insurance company, FEMA assistance may be limited.  If your insurance company tells you your insurance deductible is greater than the amount of damage found, please request a letter from your insurance company on company letterhead.  Once you receive it, please fax it to 1-800-827-8112 or you may physically mail your documents to:

FEMA - Individuals & Households Program
National Processing Service Center
P.O. Box 10055
Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055

Please remember to include your name, last four digits of your social security number, disaster number and registration number on every page and keep a copy for your records.  Submitting these documents does not guarantee assistance

  • Food loss is not covered by FEMA's Individual and Households Program (IHP). Voluntary organizations in the disaster area may be able to help you with food needs.